*1921 Czech Republic
Stanislav Libenský and Jaroslava Brychtová are contemporary artists. Their works are included in many major modern art collections, such as the Metropolitan Museum of Art and the Victoria & Albert Museum.
Stanislav Libenský began his study of glass in 1937 at the Specialized School of Glassmaking in Nový Bor, Czechoslovakia, a region encompassing the Czech-German border called the Sudetenland. When the German army occupied the Sudetenland in 1938, Libenský moved first to the school at Železný Brod, and later to Prague Academy of Arts, Architecture and Design, known as VŠUP (an abbreviation of Vysoká škola uměleckoprůmyslová v Praze) from which he graduated in 1944.
Jaroslava Brychtová began to experiment with casting and carving glass in the late 1940s. She founded the Center for Architectural Glass at the Specialized School of Glassmaking in 1950. Like Libenský, Brychtová studied at VŠUP. The war interrupted her education, but she later finished her studies with a concentration in sculpture.
Libenský was awarded honorary doctorates by the Royal College of Art in London in 1994, the Academy of Arts, Architecture and Design in Prague in 2001, and together with Brychtova, by the University of Sunderland in 1999 and the Rhode Island School of Design in 2000. In 1985 he was named a Chevalier of the Ordre des Arts et Lettres by the Ministry of Culture in Paris, France. He won the Herder Prizefrom the University of Vienna, Austria, in 1975. With his wife and collaborative partner, Jaroslava Brychtová, Libenský was accorded a number of honors. the pair were presented with a Lifetime Achievement Award from Urbanglass in Brooklyn, New York, and the Glass Art Society in 1997 and 1996, respectively.